Life is full of changes, and we all experience transitions that can impact our lives in significant ways, whether they are big, small, planned, or unplanned. As an older adult navigating a journey in aging, adjustments often bring on feelings of anxiety and stress, even if they are positive. Whether you’re retiring and slowing down, grieving the loss of a spouse, or moving to a new community that will better meet your lifestyle needs, it can be a challenge to integrate and meet new people.
In a new episode of Absolute Trust Talk Live, Kirsten is joined by guest Penny Reed of Rossmoor Counseling Services. Penny is a licensed clinical social worker with over 20 years of experience and expertise in geriatrics, mental health, and the impact of chronic disease on individuals and their loved ones. Penny’s social work background also includes program management, program development, and psychotherapy through various agencies. In this discussion, Kirsten and Penny will be diving into some of the common struggles her team sees among Rossmoor residents, both freshman and senior residents, and how Rossmore Counseling helps.
Some things you’ll learn from this episode:
- Best practices for seniors going through transitions in life.
- The impact that support groups and constant daily engagement can have in the life of an older adult.
- How COVID-19 has changed the way seniors seek support and how communities such as Rossmoor adapt to meet this change.
Whether you have a senior family member who has recently undergone a transition in life or you find yourself going through one, this is an episode that everyone will find some comfort in because you’re not alone! So, grab a pen and paper, take a seat, and press play.
Big Three from Episode #081
- Transitions that occur later in life can be stressful, even if they are a positive transition.
- One transition for a senior can result in multiple changes to happen, subsequently resulting in anxiety, confusion, and even depression.
- It can be more challenging for a senior to integrate into a new group after going through a transition phase, but that type of engagement is critical for quality of life.
Time-stamped Show Notes:
1:17 Kristen introduces guest Penny Reed from Rossmoor Counseling Services to discuss common transition struggles Penny sees among Rossmoor residents and how her organization can help.
2:30 What exactly does Rossmoor Counseling Services do? Start listening now to learn more!
4:14 The Rossmoor Community is a big deal in the Walnut Creek area. Penny takes the mic to talk more about Rossmoor for those who don’t know about the community.
10:05 Rossmoor Counseling Services is the counseling resource for the Rossmoor Community, but they also provide other services. Start listening now as Penny discusses their other offerings.
11:30 The services that are the main focus for Rossmoor Counseling fall into the mental health and psychological therapy realm. Here’s what you need to know.
13:15 Penny shares insights on a type of family relationship counseling that they tend to see a lot – can you guess which one? Hint: it’s not couple counseling.
14:57 One of the most common area’s seniors are challenged is grief. Listen as Penny discusses Rossmoor Counseling supports those residents struggling in this area.
17:01 It’s not uncommon for new incoming residents to struggle with adjusting to their new living situation. Start listening to find out how the Rossmoor team aids in this transition.
21:00 Penny talks about the various support groups offered at Rossmoor, including a bereavement group, autobiography group (writing memoirs intro), friendship group, and more.
22:36 Penny shares insights on how the past two years and the COVID-19 pandemic have shifted how older adults cope and how Rossmoor is treating residents.
25:00 Did you know that even if you’re not a resident of Rossmoor, you can still get involved with their events? Listen for more on their community education and various lecture segments.
30:53 Is there a limit to how many times residents can use a particular service or resources?
32:21 What is the status of Rossmoor Counseling Services given the ever-evolving COVID landscape?
Get in touch with Penny!
Penny Reed, Supervisor
Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Rossmoor Counseling Services
Resources/Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Rossmoor Counseling Services can be reached at (925) 988-7750 or via email: email@example.com.
- Here’s a link to Rossmoor’s Counseling Services website: https://rossmoor.com/residents/resident-services/counseling-services/
- For more information on Rossmoor’s Channel 28, visit https://rossmoor.com/residents/rossmoor-television-channel-28/
- Digital versions of Rossmoor News can be found here: https://www.rossmoornews.com
- Subscribe Now to Discover Why Listeners Turn Only to Kirsten Howe and the Absolute Trust Talk Podcast for Preparing for Their Futures > https://absolutetrustcounsel.com/podcast/
- Absolute Trust Counsel offers free guidebooks and resources, and YOU can find them here > https://absolutetrustcounsel.com/guidebooks/
- ASK KIRSTEN: If you’d like Kirsten to answer your question on the air, please email her at Info@AbsoluteTrustCounsel.com.
[Ad] Do you need help with your estate planning now? We can help. Together our Absolute Trust Counsel team will take a look at your situation and your specific needs and develop a strategic plan that will protect you and your loved ones, regardless of what may come. Here’s a link to schedule your free discovery today > https://absolutetrustcounsel.com/scheduling/. If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to contact us by calling 925.943.2740 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for more resources? Absolute Trust Counsel has a library of free articles, checklists, and guidebooks to address the most common estate planning questions in easy-to-understand language. Explore those listed below, or for more, visit https://absolutetrustcounsel.com/resources.